Wednesday 9 May 2007

Child carer overdosed

I have just heard the sad news that a 13 year old carer overdosed on methadone. In reality, child or young carers should be outlawed in this and every country where it takes place, however we all know this won't happen overnight. When a child is given the responsibility of being a carer they get on with it and I would hazard a guess that for every child we know of there are 10 we don't know about. They often take on the role out of loyalty, necessity and love but in my case it was fear of retribution. Society will only find out things are not right when a crisis comes along and by then, as in this case, it is too late.

In my situation my parents reclaimed me when I was old enough to help them to communicate and treated me like an unpaid servant. As a consequence I was not only abused but missed out on a full education which was my right as a child. Only when things broke down, did anyone look into the situation and by then, for many reasons, it was too late. The damage had been done. Sadly we have not learned much since the early 1960's.

Yes I certainly did learn things that others may not have under a normal family relationship, however at the same time I had no childhood and was exposed to things that would affect my life forever. I am not alone in this but I was alone as a carer.

2 comments:

solesister said...

It take so much courage and sole serching to have to write a book like this, after coming through such a childhood that no one would wish on their worst enermy. It is NOT done for the glory it is done to try and save one more child from having to go through what Izzy Hammond went through. If papers and magazines feel that the story is untrue then SHAME SHAME on you. Publishers like this will print rubbish but they donot believe the truth. What do they think that a photo of Izzy Hammond will achieve. This has been done not for the glory but to save a child from what Izzy went through. It has been done anonymoulsy to protect her children and grandchidren, Isn't it about time the public stopped buying these sort of publications. We have seen time and time again that social services, the do gooders of this world and the schools do what is best for them and the easy way out and the child is left in harms way. It has been proved so many times and still they do not learn. If you cannot take the child out of harm then YOU TAKE THE HARM AWAY FROM THE CHILD. Why should a "SICK" person feel that they can be allowed to ruin a childs life just for their own pleasures. SHAME solesister

kirsty said...

an amazing book, so honest and sincere. i cried at many parts, you are brave and couragous. take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx